Wednesday, February 13, 2008

ToFu in Brownies???...It is actually yummy!!!

Vegan baking............



It was always hard for me to imagine baking without eggs, butter, and milk.... just mixing those 3 ingredients alone with some sugar and loads of yummy desserts can be made........

For people who love bake goods......i guess butter can be replace with margarine, cow's milk can be replace by soy milk....... but eggs would be something hard to take away...... that golden glow that eggs give to a pie and bread...... that rich texture that eggs give to mousse and cookies......

BUT....i got some interesting news..........BTE told me he is allergic to eggs.........NOOOoooooooo

What to do.... what to do......

For a sweet tooth like BTE, i guess Vegan baking is the only way..........

So there, i started my quest of baking WITHOUT eggs......


Experiment #1

Fudgy Chocolate Brownies

I am sure a lot of you know that...... eggs and butter are two of the key ingredients for really fudgy brownies.........well i guess butter is easy... just replace it with vegetable oil.... but what about eggs......

I found this really cool vegan website.... which seems like is pretty famous among the Vegan circle.... and they have a recipe for some tasty brownies...... and its main ingredient is TOFU!!!

Well I eat a lot of tofu, but i would have never imagine to put tofu in brownies....where i guess you can coat anything with chocolate and make it taste good (maybe not everything :P)........plus it has all these great reviews..................I CAN DO THIS!!!

www.theppk.com

go to their website and get the brownies recipe....... they also have loads of other really yummy looking recipes......

I change the amount of some of the ingredient a little bit and it still turns out great!!!

I add a little extra water to my tofu mixture... mine just seemed too thick in the blender, perhaps my tofu was just extra extra firm (hence lower water content)?

I have to warn you the final mixture (after you add in the flour and coco powder) doesn't look like you typical brownie mixture.... it is much stiffer.... sort of dough like.....doesn't really pour out. I actually have to pat down my "dough" into my baking dish.......

Results:

Extremely delicious Brownies.... animal products free...........

Tomorrow is V-day....... I think i will pack some of these to work......why make myself skinny when i can make everyone else fat haha!!!........The joy of sharing :P

Conclusion:

Vegan baking is achievable.... and not as hard as i think it would be......... therefore this research project will be continuously funded by ME!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is brutal....cutting eggs out of the diet; I cannot wait to try the recipe. Somehow I know it will be good. My mom made a banana bread w/o egg by using flax oil and banana(funny) that was quite delicious.

Control of sweets made easy by allergy.....blessing in disguise????Time will tell...

BTE

Anonymous said...

wow....
tofu in brownies..
that's a quite a weird combo...
but it looks like normal brownies!!!
impressive...