Monday, April 7, 2008

Bread trial # 3 Sweet bun with lotus seed filling




Using the same bread recipe as Bread experiment # 1 but added much more moisture because I want to create a moister bread..............

I have also used the "old" dough method.........not sure what the proper name is in English, but it is a really popular bread making method in Asian. What you do essentially is to combine in your "new" dough an "old" dough that you saved from your previous bread making experiment. This method is suppose to create a moist and full of flavour output, because the flour, gluten, moisture and all the lovely little yeast were given time to be friends with each other in your "old" dough and that little piece of "old dough you saved with give your "new" dough a whole new level of texture and flavour............well theoretically speaking

Methods:
Bread flour 500g ( I used 300 g of white bread flour and 200 g of whole wheat flour)
* I also added a hand full of oatmeal, wheat bran, and grounded flex seed

Sugar 35g

1 large egg

butter@room temperature 50g

Yeast 1 1/2 tsp

Salt 1 1/2 tsp

Milk or soy milk 300ml

* I had some pear sauce left (~ 2 tbsp) so i added that in there too, figured it will make the bread more moist


1) Mix the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, yeast, salt) together

2) Add egg and pear sauce and mix until combined

3) Add milk/soy milk

4) Use dough hock and knead at low speed for 5 mins, then switch to medium speed and knead for about 5 mins

5) The dough should appear slightly sticky and wet

6) Take out the dough and head knead it until smooth and elastic (when you pull the dough and stretchy thin film should form)

7) Let rest in a warm spot for ~ 1hr (x2 in size)

8) Reshape and rest for 10 mins

9) Cut and shape dough, or add fillings to your desire
* So I added some lotus seed paste filling which you can get in China town, mine came in a can ~$ 2.50)

10) Let rest again for another ~ 1 hr (cover with wet cloth, ~ x1.5 in size)

11) ~180C oven for about 10-20 mins depending on shape and size


And the result was:





Some yummy looking golden little buns............is super moist and soft, plus the lotus seed paste added a different note and texture to the bread................lovely!!!

Well I guess what i have to say about my own bread is not a unbiased source for proper data collection.......I should really wait for the true comments from my daring tasters @ RW to validate my result :)

But this is sure to be an interesting method..........so next time when you try to make bread, be sure to save a little for your future bread making endeavors

If you have tasted this bread, please leave a comment!!! Thanks!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't tasted yet but I hope I get to. They look fabulous!

Unknown said...

finally i've done my review so i can read your blog!!
when do i get to try any of this food?!! remember SoMEONE is leaving us soon?! do i have to fly out THAT far to eat anything my hun is making?! SIGH~ >.<