Sunday, April 6, 2008

"Porky" !?!................Split pea soup is my first step



~20 Ben and Jerry Ice cream......and a year of thesis stress later................I am almost a million times heavier than I was before..............

Since i need to get back into my beach body in a month before I move to the Sun and Sunny............I have decided I need to "de-pork" myself................

I have to say I love food! So some drastic measures have to be done...............I need to get myself back on track!!!

Soup is a great filler......hearty, health , filling, and best of all--> Low in calories


Split pea and ham hock soup:

Super easy to make, high in fiber, rich and creamy

1 large onion
5 sticks of carrots (sounds like a lot because the organic kind is usually smaller)
4 sticks of celery

1 package of dry green split pea (I think the bag i used was 450g)
Vegetable bouillon (I used the organic kind without all the unknown chemical additives)

1 small smoked ham hock (mine costed me about $4.00)

8 cups of water
2 bay leaves


1) Brown onion, chopped carrot and celery with some EVOO in your soup pot. The vegetables should become caramelized

2) Add a few tbsp of water to de-glaze the pot

3) Add 8 cups of water and vegetable bouillon to the pot

4) Add the ham hock and split pea into the pot

5) Bring it to a boil then turn the heat down and let it simmer until the split pea soften

6) When ready, pull out the ham hock and puree the soup mixture until desirable consistency

7) Pull the meat off the ham hock and put it back in to the soup

READY TO SERVE

My goal is to lose 10 pounds!!!

Stay tune :P

No comments: